CLASS EIGHT - PLANTS AND FLOWERS
CLASS 8 - PLANTS AND FLOWERS
Directors: Marylou Bontje (519-461-1146), Dian Chute (519-777-2616), Liz Iglesias, Marilyn Turner
- Spray: A portion of a plant with a number of flowers ie. Chrysanthemum, Petunia, etc.
- Stem: A plant structure carrying one or more flowers and/or buds and greenery. It may be branched, ie. Sweet Pea, etc.
- Plant material refers to all parts of the plant, eg.flowers, foliage, fruit, seeds, bark, stems, roots, etc.
Rules and Regulations:
- All entries must fit into an area 30 cm depth x 45 cm width (12"x18") due to shelving space.
- All plants entered should be in good condition with damaged or old leaves and blooms removed EXCEPT for "Holy Hostas".
- Flowering plants should be in bloom for judging.
- All plants should be grown and belong to the exhibitor.
- Flowers must be grown in individual exhibitor's own home garden (no groups).
- An exhibitor may enter only ONE entry in each number section of each class.
- Exhibitors must supply their own containers and they are their responsibility.
- Measurements for the containers are done from inside edge.
- For cut flowers please use clear containers that are heavy enough to support your exhibit.
- Plant material for the Design section may be purchased EXCEPT for "Sunny Days", "Holy Hosta" and "Wild Things".
- Buds showing any colour are considered a bloom.
- Invasive Species are not permitted. For a list of Invasive Species please consult https://www.ontarioinvasiveplants.ca/
Prizes: 1st: $4, 2nd: $3, 3rd: $2
Sedum - 3 stems - Autumn Joy type
Sedum - 3 stems - Other types of Sedum
Hydrangea - 3 stems - mop head type, for example Annabelle
Hydrangea - 3 stems - other type of hydrangea
A collection of Hosta leaves consisting of 3 leaves of the same cultivar
Sunflower - 1 bloom, 15 cm (6") and under, side buds removed
Gladiolus - 1 spike
Any other flowering annual not listed - named if possible - 3 stems
Any other flowering perennial not listed - named if possible - 3 stems
Brown Eyed Susan - 5 blooms
Dahlias - 3 blooms - under 10 cm (4") in diameter
Dahlia - 1 bloom on the stem - over 10cm (4") in diameter
Dahlia - Single Type - 3 stems.
Single type is an open centered with a single row of uniform, evenly spaced ray florets in a flat plane surrounding the disc flowers.
Zinnias - 5 blooms
Rose - single bloom on stem
A Collection of cut flowers of at least 5 varieties in a vase
Judging will be mainly on the quality and condition of blooms
Cosmos - 3 stems
Chrysanthemums - 3 sprays
Asters - 5 stems
Petunias - 3 sprays single variety
Marigolds under 7.6 cm (3") in diameter - 5 blooms
Marigolds over 7.6 cm (3") in diameter - 3 blooms
A single bloom of any kind, floating in a bowl
No larger than 25.4cm (10")
Tips: There should be 1" of area around the bloom 2.5 cm (1") and bloom should not have a side bud.
Salvia - red - 3 stems
Salvia - blue - 3 stems
Calendulas - 3 stems
Prizes: 1st: $7, 2nd: $5, 3rd: $3
One African Violet - single crown only
Any other houseplant flowering grown mainly for its flowers
Named if Possible - container not to exceed 25 cm (10")
Any other houseplant grown for its foliage
Named if possible – container not to exceed 25 cm (10")
A plant grown from your kitchen. For example, an avocado pit, pineapple crown.
Patio Planter - Exhibitors Choice - Not to exceed 38 cm (15")
Patio Planter - Featuring Geraniums container not to exceed 38 cm (15")
Hanging Planter - Non Flowering - Container not to exceed 46 cm (18")
Hanging Planter - Flowering - Container not to exceed 46cm (18")
Prizes: 1st: $7, 2nd: $5, 3rd: $3 - Unless otherwise noted
"Shorty" - A mini Design using fresh plan material. Maximum 13 cm (5") in any direction.
A small design featuring marigolds
A small design is from 14 cm to 25 cm (5 ½" - 10") which must not to exceed 26 cm (10") in any direction
Create a design using the holiest hosta leaves from your garden. Have some fun with this.
A design using wayside materials which may include wild flowers
For MEN Only: "Canning for Men"
A collection of plant material in a mason jar. Judging will be mainly on the quality and condition of blooms
"Colours of the Seasons"
A design using a variety of flowers and grasses
A design using mostly shades of green foliage, may be accented with green flowers.
Pave design to denote a sunflower using other plant material, size is limited to 21 cm (8") in any direction
A design using zinnias, zinnias must be dominant, other plant material allowed
A design using pollinator plant material with no use of floral foam, must be able to see mechanics.
Examples of a mechanic are floral frog, chicken wire, twigs, or natural floral foam.
"Carnival Lights & Country Nights"
A table centrepiece to be viewed from all sides to include a light source.
"Mirror, Mirror" Prizes: 1st: $10, 2nd: $5
A small design, size 14 cm to 25 cm (5 ½" to 10") which must not exceed 25 cm (10") in any direction
Sponsored by the Thorndale & Area Horticultural Society
"Welcome Fall" Prizes: 1st: $10, 2nd: $5
A fall themed design of our choice.
Sponsored by the Thorndale & Area Horticultural Society
EDUCATION DISPLAY BY A NON-PROFIT ORGANIZATIONS or FAMILY FLOWER DISPLAY
Rules & Regulations:
- No entry fee required.
- Open to any family or non -profit organizations. Name of exhibitor must be included in the display.
- This display is to be a collection of flowers tastefully displayed on a table. In individual containers with the name of each flower.
- There must be a minimum of 12 different varieties.
- This display will not be judged and is for educational purposes only.
- Each exhibitor must register at the fair office when the display is placed. Displays may be brought in on either the Thursday before the fair from 7:00 pm to 9:00 pm or on Friday from 9:00 am to 11:00 am.
- Each family or organization will receive $15 for the display.