CLASS FIVE - QUILTING
CLASS 5 - QUILTING
Directors: Kelly Cook 519-461-1115, Peggy Smith
Rules and Regulations:
- Articles to be in new condition, and be exhibitor's own work.
- Articles may be shown for 2 years only.
- Both creativity and technical skills are to be considered in the judging.
- One article only to be entered by each exhibitor in each numbered section.
- Articles should fit easily into glass cases.
- Please attach entry tags with safety pins.
Prizes: 1st: $6, 2nd: $5, 3rd: $4
1. Quilt Block - Ohio Star (7.5" mounted by top corners)
2. Wall hanging - ready to hang, hand or machine quilted (minimum 72" perimeter)
3. Mini Quilt - machine or hand quilted (max size 80" perimeter)
4. Baby or Crib Quilt - machine or hand quilted
5. Novice Quilt - first time entry
6. Quilt - Any other technique
(such as applique, whole cloth, quilt-as-you-go, paper piecing, etc.)
7. Quilt Odd Size, Pieced - Machine Quilted
8. Quilt Odd Size, Pieced - Hand Quilted
9. Quilt Top (not quilted)
CLASS 5 SPECIALS:
10. Quilt pieced by exhibitor - Long armed by another (please list longarmer) Prizes: 1st: $25, 2nd: $20, 3rd: $15
11. Group Quilt (may be long armed) Prizes: 1st: $25, 2nd: $20, 3rd: $15
12. DIRECTORS' SPECIAL: Mini Quilt or Mini Wall Hanging Prizes: 1st: $6, 2nd: $5, 3rd: $4
Fall Theme or 'Herd' Theme (8"- 24")
Winner receives a $25 Gift Card for Hyggeligt Fabrics (St. Marys)
13. Kids Quilting Competition
Open to children aged 6-12, For questions or assistance contact Lynndsay DeClark 519-461-9837
- Article to be made mostly by you (some adult help with cutting, ironing, and tricky steps like binding okay!).
- Large Doll quilts to Lap quilts eligible (if you don't get your project done, enter it as is!).
- Any quilt style eligible.
- Judging will be based on creativity, skill shown and completeness of project.
- No points awarded toward Homecraft Queen Competition.
Prizes sponsored by Hyggeligt Fabrics (144 Queen St. E. St. Marys)
First Prize $30 Gift Certificate
Second Prize $25 Gift Certificate
Third Prize $15 Gift Certificate
For sections marked ** please see below for important information about the OAAS Champion Quilt Competition sizing if you want your entry to proceed to the next level of competition.
OAAS QUILTING COMPETITION:
Prizes: 1st: $25, 2nd: $20, 3rd: $15
14. **Quilt - pieced, hand quilted - minimum 823 cm (324") perimeter
15. **Quilt - pieced, machine quilted - minimum 823 cm (324") perimeter
16. **Quilt - any other technique, machine quilted, minimum 823 cm (324") perimeter
17. **Quilt - any other technique, hand quilted, minimum 823 cm (324") perimeter
**Ontario Association of Agricultural Societies (OAAS) Champion Quilt Competitions
The exhibitor of the Grand Champion Quilt at the Thorndale Fair is eligible to enter their quilt in the Ontario Association of Agricultural Societies (O.A.A.S.) competition. To enter this competition, the Grand Champion Quilt must compete in the District 13 Quilt Competition in November. The first prize quilt from the District Competition is then entered in the O.A.A.S. Competition, which is held at the Ontario Association of Agricultural Societies Annual Convention in Toronto in February. The entry judged BEST OF SHOW at the February Convention will be declared the ONTARIO ASSOCIATION OF AGRICULTURAL SOCIETIES' CHAMPIONSHIP QUILT. A $500.00 GRAND PRIZE will be awarded and the Exhibitor will retain ownership of the quilt. A certificate and ribbon will also be awarded to the winner. There will be a 2nd place prize of $100.00 awarded to the Runner-up Quilt. Exhibitor will retain ownership of quilt. The exhibitor agrees to participate in any promotional activities related to the OAAS competition. The winning OAAS quilt will not be eligible to compete in any future District or OAAS competitions.
Machine Quilted - Quilts must be a minimum of 324" measured on the perimeter. These sizes must be adhered to or the quilt will not be eligible to proceed to the next level of competitions. The article can be any shape – square, rectangular, etc. Quilt must be solely made and machine quilted by an individual (short and long arm machines are both eligible). MUST HAVE VISIBLE MACHINE QUILTING.
Hand Quilted - Quilts must be a minimum of 324" measured on the perimeter. These sizes must be adhered to or the quilt will not be eligible to proceed to the next level of competitions. The quilt must be solely hand made and quilted by the individual. If an exhibitor wins the Grand Champion Quilt with the same quilt at more than one fair, the exhibitor must consider the Agricultural Society nearest his/her home Fair as the one from which the quilt will be sent to the District Competition. An exhibitor who wins more than one BEST OF SHOW title with a different quilt at different fairs shall be entitled to enter each winning quilt to compete at the District Competition.
The local Homecraft Division is requested to judge a GRAND CHAMPION or Best of Show of All Classes as well as a RESERVE GRAND CHAMPION or Second Best of Show of All Classes- of eligible quilts. The GRAND CHAMPION and the RESERVE GRAND CHAMPION are judged from all first and second prize quilts that are hand quilted and machine quilted.